It is a condition where an individual experiences unwanted thoughts or images. This can lead to anxiety or depression. It is a condition which is not related to any physical problem. It is not a disease.
OCD is not only limited to one person. It can be found in the entire family. It is not a problem that needs medication. It can be treated through the various psychological therapies.
What is OCD?
Obsessive-compulsive disorder is a mental health disorder that makes people feel anxious and distressed. These feelings are accompanied by obsessions and compulsions.
The person with OCD will keep thinking about the same thing repeatedly and these obsessions will make them feel uneasy. The person will try to avoid those obsessions by performing compulsive behaviors. This will lead to a cycle of repeating the behaviors again and again.
An obsession is a persistent thought or image that causes anxiety or distress.
Compulsions are repetitive behaviors done to lessen the anxiety. It may include excessive washing, checking or ordering things in a particular way.
A person with OCD will keep repeating the same thoughts or images. It will be like a loop and it will go on and on.
Symptoms usually start in childhood. However, it is also common in adults.
Some people have more than one obsessive-compulsive disorder. The exact cause is unknown. It is believed that genetics play an important role. It can also be caused by traumatic events.
It is best to talk about your feelings with someone you trust. A doctor can give you the right treatment. This includes medication, therapy and other treatments. It depends on the severity of OCD.
You may be given medication. But this is only used if you cannot cope with the symptoms and the problem. This helps to reduce the anxiety and obsessions. You can also try to find out about other treatments such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). CBT can be given by a therapist or a psychologist.
Medication is only prescribed if you are having severe OCD or if it doesn’t respond to therapy. It is usually used for two weeks. It may include drugs like SSRIs. These help in reducing the symptoms. However, you need to consult your doctor.
Cognitive behavioral therapy is a form of psychotherapy which focuses on changing the thought patterns and behaviors. It is the most common type of treatment for OCD. It will help in reducing the anxiety and obsessions.
There are many different types of OCD. It is a serious condition. You should not ignore it. If you are feeling anxious or distressed then you should talk to the best psychiatrist in Bhopal. It is possible to control OCD through medication and therapy.
- Latest Posts
- Link between Physical Exercise & Mental Health: An Insight from a Psychiatrist in Bhopal
- The Importance of Self-Care for Mental Health: An Insight from a Psychiatrist in Bhopal
- Addressing the Stigma Surrounding Mental Illness in Bhopal
- Choosing the Right Psychiatrist in Bhopal: A Guide for Patients
- Self Care for Mental Health: Tips and Techniques for Prioritizing Your Well-Being
- Top 6 Tips to Get Rid Of Drug Addiction
- How to Talk to Kids about Anxiety?
- How Can I Best Help My Child Manage His ADHD?
- How to Prevent Suicide in Your Teenage Child?
- How Exercise Affects Our Minds?
- 5 Damaging Myths about Personality Disorders
- What are Body-Focused Repetitive Behaviors?
- Top 8 Effective Ways to Overcome Body Image Issues
- 7 Behaviors That Might Point to Childhood Emotional Neglect
- How to Help Students Who Are Suffering from Mental Health Issues?
- 5 Easy Ways to Build a Positive Self-Esteem
- What Is the Relationship Between Sleeping and Sex?
- How to Make Monday Fun?
- 7 Signs Your Anxiety May Be More Serious Than You Think
- 8 Most Effective Ways to Prevent Suicide