People suffer from many diseases and disorders but one of the commonest mental illnesses is personality disorders. If you are suffering from a personality disorder, you might not understand why you are suffering, and this is the reason why most of the people with personality disorders avoid seeking treatment. If you have read the article about personality disorders, then you will know that there are many myths and stereotypes about these disorders.
There is no doubt that personality disorders are the most common mental illness in the society, but many people don’t know how to deal with them. There is a myth that if you are having a personality disorder, then you are not capable of doing anything. However, there is a misconception about these disorders and people think that the person with a personality disorder cannot live in the society and will remain isolated.
But the fact is that personality disorders are the most common mental illness, and people who are having these disorders are not completely incapable of living in the society.
There is a misconception that only women have personality disorders. But this is not true as men too can develop the same disorders. There are many myths and stereotypes about personality disorders and I, as a psychiatrist in Bhopal, have listed them here:
Myth #1: People with personality disorders are evil and have evil intentions.
This is the most common myth about personality disorders. But the truth is that these disorders are the most common mental illness in the society and millions of people suffer from them. These disorders don’t make people evil or bad, but they are the victims of the disorder. They are mentally ill and are incapable of understanding their behavior.
Myth #2: People with personality disorders are violent.
Some people think that personality disorders lead to violence and aggression. But the fact is that these disorders don’t cause any kind of violence. There are people who have suffered from these disorders but still they are not violent.
Myth #3: People with personality disorders are evil.
Another common myth is that people with personality disorders are evil and are the reasons behind all the murders. The truth is that these disorders are the result of a chemical imbalance in the brain. There is a misconception that people with personality disorders are evil because they are mentally sick. But the truth is that they are suffering from a mental illness and they are not capable of controlling their behavior.
Myth #4: People with personality disorders are weak.
There are many myths about personality disorders and people think that people with personality disorders are weak. But the fact is that they are victims of the disorder and they can’t control their behavior.
Myth #5: People with personality disorders are incapable of making relationships.
Many people think that people with personality disorders are incapable of making relationships. But the truth is that these disorders do not make people incapable of forming relationships. They are incapable of making a healthy relationship, but they can make a relationship.
In conclusion, I would say that there are many myths and misconceptions about personality disorders and these myths are harmful for people who are suffering from these disorders. People need to stop believing such myths and start thinking about the facts instead.
- Latest Posts
- Link between Physical Exercise & Mental Health: An Insight from a Psychiatrist in Bhopal
- The Importance of Self-Care for Mental Health: An Insight from a Psychiatrist in Bhopal
- Addressing the Stigma Surrounding Mental Illness in Bhopal
- Choosing the Right Psychiatrist in Bhopal: A Guide for Patients
- Self Care for Mental Health: Tips and Techniques for Prioritizing Your Well-Being
- Top 6 Tips to Get Rid Of Drug Addiction
- How to Talk to Kids about Anxiety?
- How Can I Best Help My Child Manage His ADHD?
- How to Prevent Suicide in Your Teenage Child?
- How Exercise Affects Our Minds?
- 5 Damaging Myths about Personality Disorders
- What are Body-Focused Repetitive Behaviors?
- Top 8 Effective Ways to Overcome Body Image Issues
- 7 Behaviors That Might Point to Childhood Emotional Neglect
- How to Help Students Who Are Suffering from Mental Health Issues?
- 5 Easy Ways to Build a Positive Self-Esteem
- What Is the Relationship Between Sleeping and Sex?
- How to Make Monday Fun?
- 7 Signs Your Anxiety May Be More Serious Than You Think
- 8 Most Effective Ways to Prevent Suicide